The Class Social Events are a great way to meet other Year 7 parents and 'break the ice' with your Marcellin social networks. These 'micro' social gatherings are typically organised around things like morning coffee catch ups or evening drinks, although each class is free to choose their preferred social setting.
As a guide, we strongly recommend the following:
- The timing and location of the event should suit the volunteers first and foremost. If you are generous enough to be the nominated social rep, then you get to choose where and when it happens
- The first of these events are best held within the first month of term one
- At least one other event should be planned for the year (in the past some classes have had three or more!)
- The second (or final event) may want to be towards the end of the year - BBQs and picnics are popular
- The first event should be done at a 'walk in - walk out' venue (hence coffee shops, good pubs and the like). Gathering in a park with the whole family is also another option.
- The cost to the parents should be nominal - the cost of morning tea, a few drinks at the bar or BYO food.
- You should NOT handle money for this first event - keep it simple - everyone pays for their own coffee/drinks etc at the counter
- You will not be able to 'throw a blanket' over everyone re timing of day or night - again that is just the way it goes.
- Ideas that our Year7s parents have come up with for subsequent events include Wine/Supper Evenings, Parent Dinners, Family Dinners, Family BBQs in local parks, Father Son night at Latitude & Barefoot Bowling
There is no hard and fast guideline as to how many people you can expect to attend these events. 10-12 people at that first event is a excellent result. If you only have 3-4 people at that first one - that is fine too.
Volunteering to be the Year 7 Class Reps - what you need to know
- Each class has had at least 3 people self-nominate to be the Social Reps for these social events. If you would like to add your name to the list (or if you have forgotten whether you did or not and want to be sure you are on that list) then contact Lisa or Prue - see contact details below
- We then circulate the contact details of the volunteers to each of you
- You make contact with each other and agree on a format, time and venue (please check with the venue ahead of time about possible numbers)
- Contact us with the details and we will mock up a simple flyer and send to all the Year 7 families in your class with the details. The RSVP contact can be either someone in the organising group or us.
- With the initial event at least, we will check in once in a while to see how your planning is going (assuming we have not heard anything)
- It would be great if a few happy snap pictures were taken and sent back to us for sharing
Who to Contact
Lisa Gillies or Prue O'Shannessy - Foundation Office. Mobile is 0451 168 655 email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Foundation Office - Rivat House, Sandra Street Bulleen. Feel free to pop in - We are open 9-5 Monday to Friday.
Year 7 PARENTS DRINKS NIGHT - SATURDAY 18 MARCH - 7PM TO 9PM
We are looking forward to seeing you at the Year 7 Drinks Night. It's going to be a beautiful balmy night.
Just a couple of housekeeping items to keep in mind:
• There is plenty of parking in the college grounds. There is a carpark adjacent to the functions room, as well as one behind the functions room off the main drive (opposite the main administration building).
• Delicious finger food will be provided. Please BYO ALL DRINKS. There is no need to bring eskies or cooler bags as we will provide ice.
• On arrival, please find your name tag at the door. It makes it easier for everyone when we know who we are chatting to.
Come and join other Marcellin mums (past & present) and friends at the newly renovated Balwyn Cinema. We will be seeing the newly released Jasper Jones film. Enjoy a glass of champagne and a friendly chat before heading into the theatre. 100 tickets for sale ONLY. Don't miss out
Can you believe the Summer holidays are nearly over? Soon it’s going to be time to get out that school uniform, make sure it still fits (even though you think you bought it a size too big), and think about school lunches!
Your son’s first day at secondary school is a special one for him and for the family. It is tradition that our newly-minted Year 7 parents head over to the Functions Room immediately after that first assembly ‘drop off’ for a cuppa and a bit of a collective unwind. (Tissues will be provided!)
Come and join us (The Marcellin Foundation-Chris, Prue and Lisa) and meet some of our wonderful volunteers. College Principal Mr Mark Murphy will be on hand to say hi too.
If you can get the time off work, it is a great chance to meet other new parents, mingle and hear other ‘first day’ stories. Come for 5 minutes if you have to rush off to work or longer if you have more time.
It’s very relaxed and informal.
We'd love to see you!
As mentioned there will be a cup of tea/coffee and some delicious selection of cakes & biscuits.
Date: February 2nd
Time: Listen for directions from staff (but shortly after the kids gather for their first assembly)
Venue: Functions Room
Format: Casual, relaxed with a few welcoming speeches
Duration: 30-40 minutes (Or as long as you can)
Queries: email@example.com or 0451 168 655
- RSVP - Not needed